This week, Samsung issued a recall of their Galaxy Note7 smartphones after several incidents in which its lithium-ion batteries had exploded and caused fires. One Brooklyn six-year-old learned it the hard way when the smartphone burst into flames in his hands as he was playing with it.
The boy's grandmother, Linda Lewis, told the Post he was using the phone at home in East Flatbush around 8 p.m. on Saturday when the incident happened. "The child was watching videos on the phone when the battery exploded," she said. "It set off alarms in my house."
The child was taken to Downstate Medical Center with burns to his body. "He is home now,” Lewis added, noting the family had been in contact with Samsung. "He doesn’t want to see or go near any phones. He’s been crying to his mother."
Just a few days ago, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission urged consumers to turn off their Galaxy Note7's and exchange them for other phones. "When these batteries overheat and burst, the results can be dangerous," the CPSC said in a statement. "These incidents have occurred while charging and during normal use, which has led us to call for consumers to power down their Note7s."
Samsung confirmed it was working with the commission to complete the terms of the recall. "New Note7 replacement devices will be issued to exchange program participants upon completion of the CPSC process. In the interim, consumers can return their Note7 for another device," said Tim Baxter, the president of Samsung Electronics America. "Our collaboration with the CPSC, carrier partners and via our own communication channels is aimed at ensuring all Note7 users are aware of the issue and understand their options."
The company noted that there have been at least 35 reported cases of phones with "a battery cell issue" as of last week. That includes a man in Massachusetts who says his phone exploded as it was charging overnight; a Florida man whose phone exploded and engulfed his Jeep in flames; and an Australian man whose phone exploded as he slept.
Don't put your cellphone under a pillow when sleeping or when charging your device.Please share this tip and b safe! pic.twitter.com/uwD3PXgVQf
— NYPD 33rd Precinct (@NYPD33Pct) February 16, 2016