Nearly four years after being found guilty of grand larceny, the elderly heir of one of NYC's most storied families was sent to prison. Anthony Marshall, the 89-year-old son of the late philanthropist Brooke Astor, was ordered to begin his one-to-three year prison term today. State Supreme Court Justice A. Kirke Bartley told Marshall, who was escorted into court in a wheelchair, "I take no pleasure in following my duties."

Marshall was convicted of manipulating his mother's finances to furnish himself and his wife with an extravagant lifestyle while shorting Astor on her living situation, leaving her in torn nightgowns and dog urine-soaked couches and making her think she couldn't afford things. His lawyer was also convicted in forging Astor's will to help benefit Marshall. What's more, the accusation of the elder abuse and estate mismanagement came from Marshall's son Philip.

After years of trying to unsuccessfully appeal the verdict (with one juror insisting she was pressured into voting to convict), Marshall was taken into custody. The NY Times reports, "Prosecutors said in court this week that correctional officials anticipated sending Mr. Marshall, who has Parkinson’s disease and heart problems, to one of the state prison system’s five regional medical units, which are similar to skilled nursing facilities on prison grounds. Before the allegations upended his life, Mr. Marshall worked in philanthropy and as a Broadway producer. He and his third wife, Charlene, divided their time between homes on the Upper East Side of Manhattan and in Northeast Harbor, Maine."

The AP adds:

Marshall arrived in the courtroom in a wheelchair with his wife, Charlene, crying and caressing his shoulder. He declined to speak during the brief proceeding, looking downward but showing little reaction.

His wife, portrayed during the trial as a greedy social climber whose husband was preoccupied with providing for her, left court clutching a minister's arm.

"My heart has been ripped out of my body," she said.

Money that Marshall diverted from his mother was intended for charities. Manhattan DA Cy Vance said, "I believe that the legacy of this prosecution will be that it raised public awareness of the silent epidemic of elder abuse."