A Bronx security guard got an unexpected shock during Friday night's storm, as lightning struck her buzzer just as she was pressing the button! Laverne Cook was working at an East Tremont apartment building, buzzing a resident in around 8:40 p.m. At that moment, lightning struck the gate. She told the Daily News, "The lightning struck the gate as I pressed the button. It threw me back. The current went through my right arm."

Though initially nobody heard her cries for help, her boss eventually came in, saw her swollen arm and called 911. She was rushed to St. Barnabas Hospital, where it was determined she had no life threatening injuries. She said her arm still tingles, but she fared better than another victim of the storm. A Crown Heights man is still in critical condition after being struck on Eastern Parkway. A witness said, "His feet were smoking and he was bleeding from the mouth. It was terrifying."