Going into last night's debate, expectations were not exactly sky high for a vice presidential debate between a perpetual gaffe machine and a P90X enthusiast—best case scenario, we might get a little taste of The Onion's essential Uncle Joe Biden. The debate turned out to be surprisingly meaty and watchable, which led some to declare that The Onion's "goofy" Biden stereotype was dead. And yet, thanks to his incredibly charismatic and/or bullying performance, Biden groupies have bandied together to make Onion Joe Biden come to life...by raising money to buy the real Joe Biden his very own TransAm.
"In order to let Vice President Biden know just how much we appreciate him, while also making a very silly part of the internet come true (we are the internet after all); let's buy Uncle Joe a Trans Am like the one that is featured in the Onion article," they wrote on the Indiegogo page for "Buy Vice President Biden a TransAm." They've already raised over $2K of the $25K they need—even though Biden loves his Onion spoof, they figure he may not be able to accept the car, because of "these pesky laws and regulations and political-y things to deal with." In that case, they're still planning on buying the car and donating it to charity.
In that generous spirit, we've compiled some of our favorite memes and links that sprouted from yesterday's debate:
- Based on the Google search results, a whole lotta people want to see Paul Ryan nekked
- There is a growing "Paul Ryan cribbed his 'Bean' story from Kurt Cobain" conspiracy theory.
- The many wonderful faces and gesticulations of Biden.
- The joyous, possibly condescending Joe Biden laughter, which also inspired @LaughingJoeBiden.
- What if Biden and Ryan traded hair?
- The best gifs from the debate. And a bonus: Tim Masterson came up with our own Biden "Deal With It" gif.