Aw: WCBS 2 reports that a family pit bull-shepherd mix named Ace saved them and their neighbors when his barking alerted them to a manhole fire. His owner Khaliq Sharif said, "I was asleep. He wouldn't stop barking. I usually know it's nothing serious when he barks, but this time he wouldn't stop." In the end, eight families—23 adults and four children—went outside to safety as the fire department responded to the fire on Lafayette Avenue in Brooklyn. And the salt, from the snow, triggered the fire; Battalion Chief Gene Marmann explained, "What happens is the snow starts to melt and that along with the salts that are put down by the Department of Sanitation attacks the wires and sets them on fire." Hooray for Ace!