Angela Jewth is living a parent's nightmare. Her only son, 9-year-old Jonathan, died Wednesday—nine days after a choking incident at his Bronx school left him clinging to life in the hospital. Now she is getting ready to sue the city to find out why it appears nobody at P.S. 47 knew how to properly clear the healthy boy's airways of a rogue meatball. "If something had been done differently, my son would've been alive today," Jewth told the Daily News.

Details about the December 5th incident are sketchy, and don't all match up. One moment Jonathan was laughing with his friends and then things seem to have gone wrong:

Witnesses have told investigators for the family that Jonathan was eating a meatball sandwich and leaving the cafeteria when he started choking.

One witness said three school employees, including a school nurse, were attempting to revive him using a defibrillator, flipping him from side to side, and performing CPR, according to the family attorney.

The witness "was shaken by what she observed and felt it necessary to yell instruction to the staff because they clearly did not know what they were doing,” the attorney's statement said.

Another witness says, "They sent for a teacher and then a teacher came, and a parent stepped forward to do the Heimlich, but by then the child was on the ground and it was too late."

According to a DOE report given to the boy's mother, the choking began at 12:15 p.m. and the NYPD was called at 12:16 p.m. But according to 911 records obtained by WNBC, "the 911 call reached EMS dispatchers at 12:29 p.m. and EMS and fire crews were on scene four minutes later." The boy reached the Jacobi Medical Center in critical condition at 12:48 p.m. He died nine days later.

Jonathan's mother, a housekeeper, says she has been troubled by the conflicting reports. "They're saying that they did everything, but others are saying that there was no one around at the time," she says. And so she is preparing a lawsuit in hopes of finding out exactly what happened.

Meanwhile, the DOE is staying mostly quiet about details of the incident beyond a statement from Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott: "Tragically, a student passed away and my heart goes out to the family and the school community."