Two children died of smoke inhalation in a house fire in Springfield Gardens, Queens yesterday morning. Tyanthony Duckette, 8, was safely outside the burning home when he ran back in an attempt to save his l17-month-old brother, Daniel Wilson. The children's mother, Sonia Wilson, told WCBS 2, "I just remember yesterday, we were in the park, and we were just playing tag and all having fun, and as I was walking in the street, I was cradling Daniel, and I never thought that would be the last time we would go to the park together."

Wilson had been taking another child to school when the fire broke out in a rear bedroom in the first floor apartment of the two-family home. The children's grandmother had been watching Tyanthony, Daniel, and two other children. According to the NY Times, "After trying to douse the fire with a bucket of water, she escaped, along with two other siblings in her care and an upstairs tenant and her infant. Tyanthony may have fled, only to run back in to try to rescue his brother, the police said."

It's believed the fire started when a light bulb came into contact with combustible materials, like bed sheets or clothing. The FDNY said it did not seem as though there were any smoke detectors in the home. Speaking to the Daily News, the boys' grandfather said of Tyanthony, "The boy was very close, very very tight-knit with all of his siblings. I'm not surprised that he would do it - he would never want to see his little brother suffer. He's our little determined hero."