Two workers were seriously injured in a manhole fire involving a gas leak in Bensonhurst on Tuesday morning, according to officials.
Firefighters responded to the fire about 10 a.m. at 1905 Bay Ridge Parkway, an FDNY spokesperson said. The two injured were taken Staten Island University Hospital North in serious condition.
National Grid also responded to the fire, where contract crews were working, according to National Grid spokesperson.
"Two workers were injured, they have been transported for medical treatment," Young said. "National Grid is in the process of isolating and turning off the section of the gas main involved. Safety is our top concern, we will provide an update."
Bay Ridge Parkway from 18th to 19th Avenues as well as 19th Avenue from 76th to 74th Streets were closed, according to State Senator Andrew Gounardes.
Just received word that @nycemergencymgt is responding to a gas main fire in #Bensonhurst w two workers seriously injured. @FDNY is on scene & @nationalgridus on the way. My team has reached out to request more information and we will be monitoring the situation closely. (1/2)— Senator Andrew Gounardes (@Sen_Gounardes) January 28, 2020
Video shared through the Citizen app appears to show firefighters responding to the manhole fire.
UPDATE, 5:15 p.m.: In a Tuesday evening update from the National Grid, the company spokesperson Karen Young said six properties with about 25 customers had their service cut as a precaution while emergency workers responded. Customers' services would be restored Tuesday night after repairs are made, she said.
National Grid crews created four excavations to isolate the section of the busted gas main, and the fire was put out by about 2:45 p.m. Crews continued to survey the surrounding area for safety.
She reiterated that safety is a "top priority" and that an incident analysis would be conducted.