A 13-month-old Bronx boy died early this morning after he swallowed medicine from a prescription pill bottle—and police believe it happened because his parents gave him the pill bottle to play with as a "rattle."

Edwin Perocier, Jr. was rushed to Lincoln Hospital at approximately 8 a.m. after his mother found him unresponsive in their Longwood apartment on Southern Bouelvard near East 156th Street. He was pronounced dead at the hospital. Police say they believe he opened his father's medicine bottle and swallowed the pills inside.

According to the Post, the parents—49-year-old Edwin Perocier and his 22-year-old wife—admitted to cops that they had given him the prescription bottle to play with as a rattle, and then quickly took it away from him after they noticed the lid had fallen off the bottle. According to the News, both parents have been charged with reckless endangerment.