According to CBS, Dick George of Brooklyn was pulled from his own car and arrested on June 14, 2012 for filming the stop-and-frisk search of three youths in Flatbush. George sued the police department in connection to the arrest and was awarded the six-figure sum.
The NYPD reportedly held George for 45 minutes, ultimately charging him with disorderly conduct and, according to the Daily News, deleting the images he had taken. George told the news that he suffered a torn meniscus in his knee during the ordeal.
According to papers filed in court, NYPD Lt. Dennis Ferber told George "Now we're going to give you what you deserve for meddling in our business and when we finish with you, you can sue the city for $5 million and get rich, we don't care." George was allegedly urging the young persons being searched to get the badge numbers of Ferber and his fellow officers. (If only de Blasio had been around in 2012 to remind them of proper getting-arrested etiquette.)
Just nine days before George was arrested in 2012, public health activist Hadiyah Charles was taken into custody by the NYPD while she filmed the "police business" of stop-and-frisk in progress. Charles has since sued the NYPD.
The News reports that Ferber and the case's co-defendants, Sergeant Patrick Golden and Officer Stacey Robinson, have been pressed with six federal cases, George's notwithstanding.
In a statement, city attorney Biran Francolla said that "after a thorough review of the case facts, it was in the best interest of all to resolve this matter without costly litigation and trial."