- Yankees 6 Royals 3: At this point, the YES Network should just play a “ch-ching” sound everytime A-Rod steps up to the plate. After hitting a home run for the 5th-consecutive game on Sunday, A-Rod has 52 for the season, the most for a Yankee since Mantle and Maris hit 54 and 61 in 1961. He also has 138 RBI’s with 19 games left, which puts him in line to have the most RBI’s as a Yankee since Joe DiMaggio had 155 in 1948.
As for the game itself, pitcher Chien-Ming Wang picked up his 18th win with seven effective innings and Jorge Posada (maybe worth a “ch-ching” himself) went 2-for-5 with a huge 2-RBI double.
- Mets 4 Houston 1: Pedro looks like he is back, five innings, no runs and four K’s and Beltran and Alou provided the offense with 2 RBI’s each.
- At the US Open, Roger Federer won his fourth straight men's single title, defeating Novak Djokovic, 7-6 (4), 7-6 (2), 6-4. Djokovic had his chances in the match, having 7 set points, but couldn't capitalize on a single one - he was serving for the 1st set with 5 set points, but Federer saved each one. Federer becomes the first man since Bill Tilden to win four straight U.S. Championships. It's also his 12th career Grand Slam title, moving him to 2nd behind Pete Sampras for career slams in the open era.
- Brooklyn 8 Staten Island 4: A big error, some wild pitching and timely hitting propelled the Cyclones past the Baby Bombers.
- Patriots 38 Jets 14: The score was bad, but the spectacle of Jets’ fans cheering Chad Pennington’s injury was worse. Gothamist will have a full recap later this morning.
- Cowboys 45 Giants 35: Just keep praying...Eli is ok, Eli is ok….more later today.
Last Night's Action: The Royals Are Flushed
Recent in Miscellaneous
Featured in Miscellaneous
A visit to Mexico's main tequila-producing region, with a brief jaunt to Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta.
Read More In: