- Yankees 7, Royals 1: Kansas City has looked tough against some other teams in the American League, but the Yankees haven't had any trouble with the Royals. Robinson Cano's homer started things off in a way his teammates have been used to. Then the Yankees got the rest of their runs through less explosive means. Joe Torre's lineup worked out well -- Melky Cabrera and Johnny Damon combined to go 5-for-9 with a walk in the top two spots. One of Cabrera's hits was a two-run double that ended up in the first-base seats after bouncing off the leg of Royals pitcher Ryan Braun. Alex Rodriguez still searches for home run No. 500, but at least he's getting hits in the meantime. He went 1-for-3 with a walk and a sacrifice fly.
- Mets 6, Cubs 2: Back on May 17, the Mets trucked out an embarrassing lineup but still came from behind to beat the Cubs in the bottom of the ninth. Willie Randolph filled out another questionable order Friday in Chicago, and again a late-inning rally bailed him out. David Newhan in the outfield? Marlon Anderson over Lastings Milledge? Is there a veteran Randolph has met that he doesn't like? The decisions didn't matter because Carlos Delgado reached base five times and got the big hit in the ninth inning, but Randolph's blind love for aging and inferior players could end up hurting the Mets.
- Mystics 80, Liberty 68: After ending a seven-game losing streak Thursday, the Liberty will have to wait for their winning streak. One step at a time. Maybe if they didn't commit 17 turnovers they'd be in more games.
- Lowell 7, Staten Island 2: Another loss for the middling Baby Bombers, who couldn't do much to make up for Adam Olbrychowski's lackluster start.
- Oneonta 3, Brooklyn 2: Josh Appell should work on his control. He walked the leadoff man in the bottom of the 10th, let him get to second on a wild pitch and then, after a groundout moved him to third and an intentional walk, threw another wild pitch to end the game. Just how the Cyclones would have drawn it up.
We rely on your support to make local news available to all