- Mets 8, Nationals 2: After fooling around with some of the National League's weaker teams, the Mets finished a sweep in Washington with this drubbing. Carlos Beltran led the way with two homers. His trip to the disabled list seems to have helped him out of his slump. Orlando Hernandez, who said his team had "good offense" and "good defense," won his fourth straight decision. He hasn't lost since July 4.
- Yankees 9, Tigers 3: After handling with aplomb some of the American League's weaker teams, the Yankees took a four-game series from the Tigers with Sunday's win. Chien-Ming Wang didn't look his sharpest, but at least he looked better than he has in his most recent starts. Johnny Damon's home run broke the 3-3 tie. As much flak as he's taken, he's been better than ever since the All-Star break. Wilson Betemit hit a bases-clearing double in the eighth inning to cap his fill-in performance for Derek Jeter. Joba Chamberlain and Edwar Ramirez shined out of the bullpen. The Yankees head to Anaheim for three games starting Monday.
- Liberty 58, Sky 52: And they say the NBA has too many playoff berths. At 16-18, New York is in after this win, but don't expect the Liberty to go too far.
- Staten Island 4, Brooklyn 1: Adam Olbrychowski benefited from back-to-back two-run innings, and the Baby Bombers now trail the Cyclones by only three games. Two games remain in this series, and they meet up again for four to start September.
- Giants 13, Ravens 12: Pre-season NFL play is often about making it through with minimal injuries. In yesterday's game, the Giants had four injuries: Steve Smith (concussion), Mike Jennings (Achillies), Will Demps (elbow), Sam Madison (hamstring). Jennings, a wide receiver, is out for the season with a ruptured left Achilles. Eli Manning was 10-13 for 114 yards and a TD, but he also lost two fumbles in one half of play.
Last Night's Action: Series Wins
Recent in Miscellaneous
Featured in Miscellaneous
A visit to Mexico's main tequila-producing region, with a brief jaunt to Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta.
Read More In: