- Tigers 16, Yankees 0: Needing a win to salvage a split in Detroit, the Yankees instead got a beating and left having lost three of the four games to the Tigers. Boston awaits New York for a three-game series that starts Tuesday, and the Yankees can't be blamed if they feel a sense of urgency. Mike Mussina has felt that way for a while now. The results, including Monday's performance against Detroit, haven't been pretty. He lasted three innings, gave up six runs, walked one and didn't record a strikeout. He also could have been done sooner if not for stellar defensive plays by Robinson Cano and Melky Cabrera in the first inning. Rumors have swirled that Mussina could be demoted from the rotation, but whom do the Yankees want to replace him? Kei Igawa? Jeff Karstens? Chase Wright? Mussina may be skipped as off-days allow, but Joe Torre probably won't use someone else in the veteran's stead.
- Phillies 9, Mets 2: Good thing the Mets have a cushion over the Phillies. This way, they can start someone like Brian Lawrence and not bat an eyelash. Lawrence got rocked -- not Mussina rocked but still beaten up -- and the Mets dropped the first of four in Philadelphia. Not to worry; they're still five up in the National League East.
- A late-season 10-game road trip for the Mets usually means the U.S. Open is underway. Venus and Serena Williams cruised to first-round wins under the lights on a night when the United States Tennis Association honored Althea Gibson on the 50th anniversary of her U.S. Open title. During the day, Roger Federer advanced but Marcos Baghdatis fell to Max Mirnyi.
- Staten Island 2, Lowell 1: Justin Snyder doubled in the go-ahead run in the top of the eighth as the Baby Bombers took care of the Spinners. If only the big-league club could take care of another certain team from Massachusetts.
- Cyclones 7, Lake Monsters 6: The game remained scoreless until Brooklyn finally scored a run in the sixtth. The two teams then exploded for 12 runs in the next two innings and Brooklyn held off an eighth-inning rally by Vermont for the win.
Last Night's Action: Hunting Moose?
Recent in Miscellaneous
Featured in Miscellaneous
A visit to Mexico's main tequila-producing region, with a brief jaunt to Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta.
Read More In: