If you're intimidated by the crowds at Smorgasburg or you just don't get down with animal-based products, this weekend's Vegan Show Up should be your Saturday destination. From noon until 6 p.m. the Pine Box Rock Shop in Bushwick will host a number of the city's cruelty-free food purveyors and other vegan products at the free monthly pop-up market. Here are the vendors to be on the lookout for:
- First of all, the Cinnamon Snail crew will be there, and if we've told you once we'll tell you a million more times: this truck ROCKS! Eat anything and everything they're selling and you can't go wrong.
- Of all the reasons to give up dairy, cheese is probably the most difficult for people to let go of. Enter Treeline Cheese, a Catskills-based company making dairy-free cheese that will turn even the most devoted lactose lover. Be sure to try their Cracked Pepper Hard Cheese, a firm and creamy cheese flecked with lots of cracked pepper.
- Don't let the name confuse you because the savory creations out of the Monk's Meats kitchens are completely animal free. Their seitan, which comes in flavors like ginger kombu and chipotle, replace the meat in dishes like Pot Roast Hot Pockets and the Mushroom Pepper Steak Sandwich. Regardless of what dishes they show up with on Saturday, you're guaranteed to be completely stuffed once you finish them.
- Bushwick's "traveling" Ethiopian restaurant Bunna Cafe will be selling their incredibly flavorful—and sometimes incredibly spicy!—east African cuisine. Heat seekers should try to Misir Wot, split red lentils cooked in a fiery Berbere sauce, which combines Ethiopian red pepper, cardamon, red onion, garlic and ginger. For something on the milder side, opt for the Keysir, a sweet and savory combination of simmered beets, carrots and potatoes.
- Definitely save room for dessert and try one of Alchemy Creamery's zany vegan ice cream creations. Past potions have been "A-maize-ing" (salted corn and caramel), "Pink Lightning" (blueberry lemon ginger) and "Aries Arsenic" (wasabi cashew lime and edamame).