From the Tavern on the Green in 1934 to the famous Cavanaugh's Restaurant on West 23rd in 1938 to an old dining shack in Sheepshead Bay in 1953—click through for a look at where New Yorkers used to eat back in the day. The captions (along with the photographs) are all courtesy of the NYC Municipal Archives, who just released nearly one million photos online. Now if only there were a million hours in a day or the NYPL Old Menus crew could combine forces with the Municipal Archives and fully piece together these old spots for us.

Previously: How New Yorkers ate in 1938.