Last year the Department of Consumer Affairs performed a supermarket sweep that found a disturbingly low level of compliance with rules across the city. Nearly a third of the time DCA inspectors were overcharged and 370 of 650 stores inspected got at least one summons. But which were the bad stores? The DCA only gave out neighborhoods, not stores. And now we know why.
The Post filed a Freedom of Information request and got so the DCA has released a list of the 25 offenders that racked up the highest fines in 2010. And fans of the Brooklyn Fairway and the Columbus Circle Whole Foods (don't call it Whole Paycheck) will be unhappy to know those two stars in the grocery firmament are included. Fairway earned $3,100 in fines for overcharging and item pricing while Whole Foods had to pay up $2,900 in fines of its own (here's some more on their issues).
At the top of the list was the Pioneer market in Fort Greene, which earned $11,460 in summonses and five violations (some for multiple infractions like improper labeling and overcharging) over two visits.
Interestingly, 17 of the top 25 stores cited in the past year were in Brooklyn while none were in Queens. And that isn't because they just checked Brooklyn spots—inspectors looked at 298 stores in Kings County and 255 in Queens.
Maybe that whole letter grades for supermarket idea is actually a good one? Here's the list of the top 25 offenders:
1. Pioneer, 325 Lafayette Ave., Fort Greene, Brooklyn, $11,460
2. Associated Supermarket, 1380 Pennsylvania Ave., East New York, Brooklyn, $9,220
3. Trade Wise Supermarket, 33 Truxton St., Brownsville, Brooklyn, $9,015
4. Trade Wise Supermarket, 455 Sutter Ave., Brownsville, Brooklyn, $8,405
5. Stop & Shop, 2754 Hylan Blvd., Oakwood, Staten Island, $7,170
6. The Kosher Garden, 1507 Coney Island Ave., Midwood, Brooklyn, $6,408
7. Pathmark, 17 12th St., Gowanus, Brooklyn, $4,850
8. Key Food, 592 Lenox Ave., Harlem, $4,450
9. Key Food, 3485 Neptune Ave., Coney Island, Brooklyn, $4,425
10. Key Food, 169-175 Atlantic Ave., Cobble Hill, Brooklyn, $4,200
11. Food Town Super Market, 382 McDonald Ave., Kensington, Brooklyn, $4,175
12. Foodtown, 1420 Fulton St., Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, $3,850
13. Associated Supermarket, 1291 Broadway, Bushwick, Brooklyn, $3,798
14. Pathmark, 2136 Bartow Ave., Co-op City, Bronx, $3,750
15. Food City, 7414 3rd Ave., Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, $3,725
16. Pathmark, 2875 Richmond Ave., Heartland Village, Staten Island, $3,350
17. Pioneer Supermarket, 256 St. Ann’s Avenue, Mott Haven, Bronx, $3,325
18. C-Town, 7907 13th Ave., Dyker Heights, Brooklyn, $3,300
19. Fairway Supermarket, 480 Van Brunt St., Red Hook, Brooklyn, $3,120
20. Food Bazaar, 21 Manhattan Ave., Williamsburg, Brooklyn, $3,095
21. Pathmark, 3785 Nostrand Ave., Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, $3,060
22. Morton Williams, 2465 Jerome Ave., University Heights, Bronx, $3,000
23. Whole Foods, 10 Columbus Circle, Midtown, $2,975
24. Waldbaum’s, 6400 Amboy Road, Pleasant Plains, Staten Island, $2,960
25. Golden Mango, 1871 Rockaway Parkway, Canarsie, Brooklyn, $2,860