For the first time since 1994, the McRib is being sold at all participating McDonald's restaurants in the U.S., starting TODAY! The popular pork sandwich—which was immortalized on The Simpsons as the Krusty Burger "Ribwich" that tours the country with a cult following like the Deadheads—is made with "signature tangy McRib barbecue sauce, seasoned boneless pork patty, fresh slivered onions, dill pickles, and toasted home style bun." Nine of these bad boys (500 calories each) were delivered to Gothamist HQ today. Here are some of the reactions:
- "I can imagine this would be awesome drunk food. I wish I was drunk right now."
- "I enjoyed the bun."
- "The strong flavor of the sauce disguises the flavor (or lack thereof) of the meat."
- "Seriously, would it be wrong to start drinking now?"
- "The onions and pickles do add a lot to the sandwich."
- "An hour into the McRib and it feels like my brain is wrapped in wax paper."
- "Enjoyable nonetheless."
- "I feel as though my heretofore depraved mouth hole has been baptized in the holy McSpirit!"
One of those is a joke, but what's not a joke is the copy on the McRib box: "YOUR OLD FRIEND IS BACK. It's the telltale sign of that tangy barbecue sauce that's left its mark on your lips. The fact that the tender boneless pork is smothered in it means there's no way of getting away with this love affair." Wait, the sauce marks are supposed to be on our lips?
The McRib will be available through December 5th, and to help make The Simpsons parody a reality, McDonald's is "inviting McRib fans to tap into their creative passion with the launch of The Legends of McRib website." The site collects "McRib stories and tall tales submitted by fans who want to share their love for the sandwich with the world. The legends don’t have to be true. They don’t have to even be possible. They just have to be bigger than life and worthy of The Legends of McRib." The winner gets a trip to Germany (the only country that sells McRibs year round) and his or her story animated into cartoon that McDonald's can use for marketing (and that you can use to get laid).