Smorgasburg's big debut in SoHo (or is it Hudson Square? Tribeca? SoHuBeca?) arrives Saturday, August 19th when their newest market opens on a slice of land between Canal Street, Grand Street and 6th Avenue — 76 Varick Street to be exact. Dubbed "Smorg Square," it'll feature more than 20 food vendors, with a larger selection of non-edible products at the new year-round, indoor Brooklyn Flea at 100 Avenue of the Americas.
The new Square space, designed by A+I, looks very downtown Manhattan chichi compared to the more DIY atmosphere at the Williamsburg waterfront. The vibe's a bit like the pedestrian plazas that arrived in similar spaces in Manhattan in recent years, with big planters full of grasses and flowers. From the look of it, finding seating should be easier at this location—no beach to plop down on though. Visitors will be shielded from the street noise courtesy of wrapped perimeter fences, some of which are decorated by kids from the nearby Children's Museum of the Arts.
A full bar will be opening in the space in September, and unlike the seasonal Brooklyn Smorgs, this version will be open through Christmas (the Flea across the street will turn into a holiday market in November and December). The Smorg Square will operate Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays,
Check out the full list of vendors below.
- Big Mozz Sticks (artisan mozzarella sticks)
- Bon Chovie (deep fried anchovies)
- Bona Bona Ice Cream
- Brooklyn Oyster Party
- C Bao
- Dan & John’s Wings
- Destination Dumplings
- Duck Season (duck sandwiches and all things duck)
- Dulcinea (Churros and Berlinas)
- Excell's Kingston Eatery (Jamaican fare)
- Goa Taco (paratha tacos)
- John's Juice
- Lonestar Empire (slow smoked brisket)
- Lumpia Shack (Filipino spring rolls)
- Lupita’s NYC (Mexican fare)
- Ramen Burger (out Aug. 25-27+Sept. 1-3)
- Red Hook Lobster Pound (lobster rolls)
- The Good Batch (baked goods)
- Wood Fired Edibles (starting Sept. 1-3) (pizza)
- Wowfulls (Hong Kong egg waffles)
- Yakisoba NYC (by Rai Rai Ken)
76 Varick Street; smorgasburg.com.
Open Fridays 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., Saturdays 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., and Sundays 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.