A sure sign that spring is in the air? This weekend marks the triumphant return of Smorgasburg to the great outdoors! The much-loved open-air, all-food market stakes its claim on the East River Waterfront (between North 6th and 7th Streets) in Williamsburg on Saturday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., rain or shine. And, even better, there is a very strong chance that soon enough you'll be able to tipple while you table-hop!
Smorgasburg's Eric Demby tells us that, after having a vote on a liquor license for the food market tabled in February, the Brooklyn Flea offshoot is returning to the Brooklyn Community Board 1 SLA committee tonight and hope they can have a license up and running by May or June. "We've gathered about 10 pages of signatures in support of the application since our February appearance," he tells us and they are "confident we'll win approval both tonight and at the full board in a couple weeks."
Meanwhile, while you wait for local booze to wash down all that local food, there is lots of new fare coming to Smorgasburg this year. Just a few of the vendors on hand that you can expect include:
- Handsome Hank's Fish Hut- Fried fish sandwiches from Danny Lyu of Cemitas. Vietnamese, Korean, and the classic "Nashville" styles. Fried shrimp and mushrooms as well.
- Mozz Shop - From Danny Lyu and Matt Lief of Landhaus BLTs. Fresh mozzarella, olive oil, and tomatoes as well as fried mozzarella balls and "Italian Corn Dogs" made with mozzarella and italian sausage, deep fried in a polenta batter.
- Best Summer - Vietnamese Summer Rolls from Dennis Ngo, the owner of Lonestar BBQ.
- La Casa De Camba - Bolivian food. Focusing on salteñas which are like empanadas on steroids.
- King Leche Creams - Goat milk based ice creams with flavors such as buckwheat honey/Bourbon, spicy chocolate, sweet potato/pickled raisin, and cajeta habanero.
- Parantha Alley - A whole wheat roti stuffed with spicy fillings.
- Soy Hound - Home made soymilks with flavors such as orange chocolate, matcha green tea, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Pipsnacks - Small-kernel non-GMO popcorn.
- Uttapam - Lentil pancakes with locavore fillings by Paul Hine, Roberta's pizzaiolo.
- Baby Mash - Dumbo moms' organic baby food.