A husband and wife who emigrated from Bangladesh 28 years ago took the coveted Vendy Cup at this past weekend's 14th Annual Vendy Awards, which had the most diverse showcase of cuisines in recent memory. Their truck, Royal Halal Grill, served a few dishes at the event, including Chicken Korma and Manti.
Photographer Clay Williams was on the scene, and reported back, "The cuisines represented this year were the most diverse that I can remember. Trucks and carts offered food from Ethiopia and Eritrea, Afghanistan, Eastern Europe, Greece, Colombia, Trinidad, Burma, Laos and Indonesia... alongside the Mexican, Italian and South Asian foods that we often see represented at the Vendys." He added, "More than once I came across vendors I hadn’t heard of that I’m hoping to find on the streets and markets going forward."
And this winners are...
- Rookie of the Year: Nansense, the Afghan comfort food truck
- Market Vendor: D’Abruzzo, which served amazing grilled lamb skewers
- Breakfast: Mama Jo’s Breakfast Cart, serving Greek pastries
- Dessert: Baonanas, serving Banana Pudding
- People’s Choice: Burmese Bites
- Vendy Cup: Royal Halal Grill
Click through for scenes from the Vendys, and click on the above links to find these carts out there on the streets.