It's usually Smorgasburg doing the heavy lifting in the food department, but sister operation Brooklyn Flea offers some destination-worthy dining of its own with events like their annual Ice Cream Bonanza. Now they're gearing up for a BBQ Weekend dedicated to all things meaty—and a few non-meats, too. This Saturday at the Fort Greene Flea and Sunday at the DUMBO Flea, eight barbecue purveyors will be slinging 'cue amidst the vintage collectibles, offering an around-the-country array of delectable smoked foods.
Names like Mighty Quinn's, Lonestar Empire and Kimchi Smoke are familiar to Smorg regulars, as is Monk's Meats, the rising vegan barbecue outlet, and Chickpea & Olive, the vegan sandwich makers who are rocking the jackfruit in place of animal protein.
Chickpea & Olive
Brisket specialists Delaney Barbecue will also be making an appearance at the event and they'll even be offering a hickory smoked seitan, in keeping up with the vegan trend. Crown Heights newcomer Urban Smoke will also be on hand, serving smoked chicken thighs and pimento cheese, as will Bed-Stuy's Beast of Bourbon.
BBQ Weekend at the Brooklyn Flea runs from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at the Fort Greene Flea (176 Lafayette Ave.) and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday at the DUMBO Flea (Manhattan Bridge Archway Plaza). Check out the full vendor menu below.
Chickpea & Olive
- Pulled BBQ Jackfruit (Large $13, Slider $8) served with Carolina slaw, bread & butter pickles, fried shallots, horseradish aioli
- Mini Sliders: Chopped beef brisket ($5), Pulled Pork ($4), and Hickory Smoked Seitan ($4)
- Sides: Mac N Cheese ($4), Collard Greens ($3), and Cole Slaw ($3)
- Combo: 2 mini sliders, 2 sides ($12)
- Pulled Pork Slider ($6 or two for $10): 10 hour hickory smoked pork shoulder topped with Fatboy Bourbon Chipotle Sauce and Slaw with Sesame Vinaigrette on slider roll.
- Korean Redneck Tacos ($10): Pulled Pork, Fatboy BCS, Korean slaw, scallions on two flour tortillas. Swap with Brisket (+ $2)
- Austin Cho ($13) 12 hour smoked brisket topped with Fatboy BCS, smoked kimchi, and remoulade on roll.
- Chonut 2.1 ($14): Smoked brisket, Fatboy BCS, smoked kimchi, cheddar cheese, bacon, scallions on a glazed donut.
- Slow Smoked Brisket Sandwich (Slider $5, Regular $9)
- Sides: Texas-style Mustard Potato Salad ($3)
Mighty Quinn’s (Sunday only)
- Slow Smoked Brisket Sandwich (Little $5, Big $10)
- Spare Ribs $11
- Homemade Pimento Cheese ($5) served with Saltines and pickle chips
- Smoked Chicken Thighs ($5) served with white BBQ sauce
- "Street Meat Slaw ($4) with cabbage, cucumber, chickpeas and roasted peppers in a yogurt-tahini dressing
- Chicken Combo ($7): smoked chicken thighs with white BBQ sauce and "Street Meat Slaw"
- Seitan Slab BBQ Plate served with Vegan Mac & Cheese and greens
- BBQ Seitan Sliders
Beasts of Bourbon
- Smoked Chicken Slider w/ Vinegar Slaw
- Pork Ribs w/ Espresso Rub
- Brisket Beans
- Cucumber Salad