It's time to break out the baby oil, because The Fate Of The Furious—a.k.a. Fast & Furious 8, a.k.a. Fast 8, a.k.a. Furious 8, a.k.a. Family: The Movie Of The Life—is coming out in just four months. And we got our first taste of the latest entry in the greatest batshit-crazy, ethnically-diverse action film franchise of the 21st century with the Times Square trailer premiere Sunday night. Below, watch as Vin Diesel betrays the family, The Rock gets sent to prison for ~reasons~ and leads a breakout with Jason Stratham, and the whole team gets sucked into an explosion-friendly submarine car chase in Iceland.
Now that Dom and Letty are on their honeymoon and Brian and Mia have retired from the game — and the rest of the crew has been exonerated — the globetrotting team has found a semblance of a normal life. But when a mysterious woman seduces Dom into the world of crime he can’t seem to escape and a betrayal of those closest to him, they will face trials that will test them as never before.
From the shores of Cuba and the streets of New York City to the icy plains off the arctic Barents Sea, our elite force will crisscross the globe to stop an anarchist from unleashing chaos on the world’s stage…and to bring home the man who made them a family.
Some important notes on this important occasion:
- This is the first film in history to shut down Times Square for a trailer release. Or as Vin Diesel, a gravely-voiced human Q-tip, put it, "As a New Yorker, I've always dreamed—dreamed—of shutting down Times Square with a movie I loved."
- We get a quick look at the NYC scenes, which were partially filmed in Cleveland as mentioned up above, including a shot of Dom driving his muscle car over the Manhattan Bridge. Diesel also mentioned the Vibe article, Racer X: "the article the whole franchise started from was about street racers in NYC."
- The Rock dresses for success:
I can't wait to see The Rock in a remake of The Aviator. pic.twitter.com/gHKF1DQDs9
— Josh Kurp (@JoshKurp) December 12, 2016
- The plot of the film looks like a glorious mashup of Fast 5, 6 & 7. Dom is the villain, just like Letty was in 6! Does this mean he is brainwashed? Has amnesia? Is a robot? Is one of those consumerist aliens from They Live? Or is Charlize Theron just blackmailing him into blowing up doors and making out with her?
- This also allows the film to return to the adversarial/romantic dynamic between Dom and Hobbs (The Rock) that worked so well in Fast 5. In that film, there's is a forbidden love in which any given scene could end with them punching or kissing each other.
- "I will beat you like a Cherokee drum" is the new, "Daddy's gotta go to work."
- Ludacris has been waiting since Fast 6 to get his tank. Continuity, baby!
- SUBMARINE. CAR. CHASE.
- There's no sign of Dame Helen Mirren or Tormund Giantsbane; also no sign of former team members Hillybilly Paul Walker (Lucas Black) or Tego & Rico, all of whom are supposed to be in the film, according to IMDB.
- At this point, we are just setting the scene for Fast 10: Space Cars: Cars In Space Fam!
Ride or die with the whole family on April 14th, 2017.