We've been alerted that there is a "Cat Cab" prowling Manhattan, offuring free rides to passengers. We've reached out to Purina, who are sponsoring the cab, and they have sadly confirmed that there are NO CATS inside of the cab—however, you can BYO-Cat. They tell us: "We've had a folks bring their cats along for the ride. Mostly, we just have very dedicated cat owners getting a free ride in the fully logoed taxi." Fully felined would be better than "fully logoed," but we're not ones to complain about a free ride.
There are four branded Cat Cabs traveling throughout Manhattan through this Sunday, and they're mostly looking for cat owners to share their story. You can find them until 5:30 p.m. today, and 9 a.m. through 7 p.m. this weekend at the following locations:
- Friday 10:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.: Bryant Park (42nd St. & 6th Ave.)
- 1:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. PetSmart (632 Broadway)
- Saturday 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.: Washington Square Park (Wash. Square N. & 5th Ave.),
- 12:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m.: PetSmart (632 Broadway)
- 4:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m.: Times Square (46th between Broadway & 7th Ave.)
- Sunday 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.: Central Park East (59th St. btwn 5th Ave. & Grand Army Plaza)
- 12:00 p.m.-3:30 p.m.: Madison Square Park (corner of 23rd & Broadway)
- 3:30 p.m.-7:00 p.m.: Lower East Side (Houston btwn Chrystie & Forsyth)
Note to Purina: If you are going to do this again next year, please consider having some cats in the cab, or at least decking the cab out to look like a cat.