Okay, the video of Governor Spitzer's short, vague apology is a classic addition to the apologetic politicians reel, but late night writers got to dissect the Hookergate. David Letterman offered up a Top Ten list that included references to Roy Scheider and Bubba (video, above; entire top ten list after the jump).
Stephen Colbert savored the fact that Spitzer had appeared on his program the day before the alleged tryst (Spitzer touted his superdelegate support for Clinton) and riffed on the scandal and cost of "Kristen" (video after the jump).
The Daily Show's Jon Stewart devoted a few minutes to the scandal, noting the irony of wiretapping a former Attorney General, until explaining the show needed to cover the Wyoming caucus because the Spitzer scandal would certainly be around on Tuesday (he's right!).
Letterman's Top Ten List of Eliot Spitzer Excuses:
10. “Oh come on, like you were never involved in a prostitution ring.”
9. “Hookers is fun.”
8. “Just trying to help the economy.”
7. “Have you ever been to Albany?”
6. “It’s part of my new MTV prank show, ‘Spitz’d.’”
5. “Haven’t been myself since Roy Scheider died.”
4. “Uh, tainted beef?”
3. “Whether it’s a hooker or your wife, you’re always paying for – you married fellas know what I’m talking about.”
2. “Wanted to be known as the Charlie Sheen of politics.”
1. “I thought Bill Clinton legalized this years ago.”