An autopsy is underway for Prince, who died after being found unconscious yesterday in an elevator at his Paisley Park recording studio in Chanhassen, Minnesota. According to the Star Tribune, results from the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office "could take days or weeks, and the office does not plan to release any preliminary results."
There's rampant speculation about Prince's health: Last Friday, April 15, the performer's plane made an emergency landing in Moline, Illinois and he was rushed to a hospital for treatment. His publicist said he was battling the flu, and the next day, April 16, Prince went record shopping in Minneapolis and later appeared at a party at Paisley Park.
FETUS, THANX 4 THE TUNES! ROCKED STEVIE'S TALKING BOOK ALL THE WAY HOME! #RecordStoreDay
— Prince (@prince) April 17, 2016
I hung out in Prince's living room while he stood 5 feet away. What a fantastic night.
— Meghan (@MinnesotaMeghan) April 17, 2016
He had cancelled shows in Atlanta earlier in the month and performed there on April 14. Prince was also planning shows in St. Louis for April 18; the St. Louis Dispatch spoke to promoter Steve Litman, who said that everything was ready to go, but Prince didn't want to announce anything in case he wasn't well enough to perform.
"As you can imagine, on short notice, it was a massive job to get all the pieces in place and keep it as quiet as possible," Litman told the Dispatch, referring to all the press releases, marketing and logistics. "I was on the phone talking to them (Prince’s representatives) during the day every couple of hours (April 14). He had just boarded a plane in Minneapolis and was headed to Atlanta, and we were going to get the final answer when he landed. They were discussing it in the dressing room. This went on and on until the Atlanta shows were over."
TMZ claims that the emergency plane landing was related to an overdose of Percocet: "He ingested so much EMTs had to administer a 'save shot' at the airport where his plane made an emergency landing to save his life. Sources in Moline, Illinois tell TMZ, Prince's entourage told responders he had taken the painkiller after his Atlanta concert which triggered the emergency."
The site added, "We're told Prince was taking painkillers for a hip problem. We're told he had corrective surgery for his hips around 2010... As we reported, Prince went to his local Walgreens 4 times in the week leading up to his death. We got a photo of Prince in the parking lot of the Walgreens hours before he died. Witnesses say he was pacing and agitated, waiting for someone to bring out his meds."
People magazine reports, "Prince may have been struggling with an 'ongoing illness,' which weakened his immune system prior to his shocking death...'The people close to him were very concerned for his health and indicated he'd been undergoing treatments which made his immune system weak,' the source tells PEOPLE."
Producer L.A. Reid said on the Today show, "The Prince I know was super healthy, vegan, wasn't an abuser of drugs ... or alcohol. He looked young and he looked really healthy and vibrant, so the whole thing is very mysterious to me."
In Minneapolis, Prince's life was celebrated by thousands who took to the streets and to First Avenue, the venue that helped launch him to stardom. Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges said, "Prince was a child of our city, and his love of his hometown permeated many of his songs. Our pride in his accomplishments permeates our love of Minneapolis. … Prince never left us, and we never left him."
Tonight I felt more alive than I have in awhile. It was a cathartic two hour tribute that was electric and moving. pic.twitter.com/70JXHS718Y
— Meghan (@MinnesotaMeghan) April 22, 2016