Photos: Inside Of Chelsea's Secret Castle

<p>455 West 20th Street in 1927- the building had a twin to the east which has since been torn down.</p>

<p>On the left, an undated etching which shows just how close the river used to come to 10th Avenue, where the building is located. On the right, an undated photo of seminary students entering the building.</p>

<p>Check out the beautiful old arch over that door! And note the new fireplace being built inside the old one.</p>

<p>The building shows many places where it was renovated over the years- here note the echo of an old fireplace. </p>

<p>Check out the old walls and door on this lower floor. The walls are enormously thick and have settled in interesting ways over the years, which made fitting new windows and doors especially challenging. Also note the wooden structure inside- all of the floors and internal supports in the building had to be rebuilt to accomodate current building codes and the layout of the new apartments.</p>

<p>All of the windows had to be built custom to accomodate the unusually sized openings, and the Landmarks Preservation Commission required the wood be restored to match the old designs. This is one of the windows they are testing.</p>

<p>Here in the basement you see the massive brick structure at the base of the building, along with the new floors. This area might be used for storage spaces.</p>

<p>Looking up a new stairwell- note the old wall on the right.</p>

<p>The building has a wonderful vaulted ceiling on the top floor- check out that old wood!</p>

<p>One of the original fireplaces, seen here after the floor was removed to be refitted.</p>

<p>A shot of the "close"- the new condo residents will have access to the Seminary's private park.</p>

<p>A rendering of the building after renovation—note the new annex building to the West, which is being built on the site of an old tennis court. </p>