The Moth Ball—also known as the only event we look forward to every year—is coming back to the Bowery next month. The annual affair, taking place on May 10th, will return Capitale and operate under the theme: "Oh! You Pretty Things" (celebrating all things glam and rock). Appropriately, this year's Ball will honor riot grrrl, actress, and author Carrie Brownstein. (Previous honorees have included Louis C.K., Zadie Smith, Albert Maysles, and Martin Scorsese.)
What to expect:
- A host! This year that will be Baratunde Thurston.
- A silent auction, with items like: Guns n' Roses tickets to their sold-out Met Life Stadium show; a drink and a dilemma with pop culture icon Molly Ringwald; a chat over lunch with Cheech Marin. Who else would offer these things up but the Moth?
- Drinks! Seriously there are so many drinks at these things, and they're not very difficult to attain as there are a number of (open) bars set up around the venue.
- Food. Eat it if you want to be able to enjoy all of the aforementioned drinks.
- Stories: duh. There will be stories from Baratunde, Carrie, and last year's GrandSLAM champs (who will deliver a one-minute version of their winning tales).
- Costumes (people really go all out for this). According to the press release, you are encouraged to "don fabulous fashions inspired by the likes of Ziggy Stardust, Iggy Pop and Candy Darling—celebrating a time of androgyny and individuality, and music underlined with lipstick and strength." BYO-costume, but they usually have some accessories to add to your attire—we're told there will be a temporary tattoo booth, too.
All proceeds go to The Moth, which is a fantastic organization that, if I were a wealthy eccentric, would leave all of my fortunes to.
You can buy tickets here—they range from $500 (cocktails, dinner, stories & dancing) to $15,000 (table seating for 12, VIP service, premium program listing, full-page ad). It may sound like a lot of money, but honestly this one night out (which ends with a gift bag) is worth skipping several mediocre nights out for.