It's Memorial Day, and Fleet Week New York organizers have a number of activities planned across the city. Including two flyovers and a search-and-rescue mission.
At noon, the U.S. Navy is conducting a flyover with four FA-18's east up the Hudson and past the Intrepid, for the Intrepid's Memorial Day Ceremony. This is what it looks like:
At 12:55 p.m., the U.S. Navy Leap Frogs will be doing a parachute jump into Citi Field, before the Mets' game against the White Sox. Here's video of the Leap Frogs jumping into University of Tennessee's stadium:
At 1 p.m., the FA-18's will be flying over Citi Field, too.
And at 1:30 PM, the U.S Coast Guard is be demonstrating its search and rescue operations near Pier 86 by the Intrepid Air & Space Museum. The demo, which is weather-permitting, will consist of one swimmer exiting a U.S. Coast Guard helicopter to perform a rescue demonstration.
Here's a list of NYC activities today; you can look at the Fleet Week website for more details:
• 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., General Public Tours, Manhattan Piers 88S, 86N*, and 92S; Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, Brooklyn; Homeport Pier, Staten Island - Ship tours will be held aboard USN and USCG ships. Lines may be capped at 3 p.m. to allow guests to finish their tours. Tours are free and open to the public. (*Tours will begin at 10 a.m.)
• 10 a.m., Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Memorial Day Observance, Riverside Dr. & 89th St, | Manhattan - Annual Memorial Day Commemoration Ceremony will take place at Soldiers' andSailors' Monument in Manhattan. This year's event will commemorate the 40th Anniversary of the death of Admiral Chester W. Nimitz. Event is free and open to the public.
• 10 a.m., Pelham Memorial Day Parade, Pelham Manor | Town of Pelham - Service members will participate in the annual parade. Event is free and open to the public.
• 11 a.m., 147th Kings County Memorial Day Parade, 101 St. & 4th Ave. | Brooklyn - Service members will participate in the annual parade. Event is free and open to the public.
• 11:30 a.m., Intrepid Memorial Day Commemoration, 12th Ave. & 46th St. Pier 86N |
Manhattan - Honor the men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice serving in the armed forces. Join hundreds of veterans, representing wars and conflicts from WWII to the present. The ceremony will include the unfurling of a 100-foot American flag, the playing of taps, a ceremonial wreath-laying and a three-volley rifle salute. Event is free and open to the public.
• 11 a.m., Glendale/Ridgewood Memorial Day Parade, Myrtle Avenue & 70th Street |
Glendale, New York - Service members will participate in the annual parade. Event is free and open to the public.
• Noon, Staten Island Memorial Day Parade, Forest Ave. | Staten Island - Service members will participate in the annual parade. Event is free and open to the public.
• 1:10 p.m., Annual New York Mets/USO Military Appreciation Day | Citi Field | Flushing - Four FA-18 Super Hornets based out of Naval Air Station Oceana in Virginia Beach, Va. will fly over the annual New York Mets/USO Military Appreciation Day at Citi Field, signifying the start of the game. The Mets will take on the Chicago White Sox. The USN Parachute Team “The Leap Frogs will jump into the stadium and military personnel from all five branches will be represented on the field. The Joint Service Color Guard will present colors, and a member of Navy Band Northeast will sing the national anthem.
• 1:30 - 2 p.m., USCG Search and Rescue Demonstration | Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, Pier 86N | Manhattan - a USCG helicopter will conduct a Search and Rescue demonstration over open water near the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Pier 86N on May 30, from 1:30 p.m. to 2 p.m. During the demonstration, a USCG rescue crew will drop a mannequin into the water to simulate a person in distress. A rescue swimmer will then jump into the water to secure the mannequin. Both the rescue swimmer and the mannequin are then lifted securely back into the helicopter. Event is free and open to the public
• 2 p.m., 89th Little Neck-Douglaston Memorial Day Parade, Northern Blvd. & Jayson Ave. | Great Neck - Service members will participate in the annual parade. Event is free and open to the public.
• 2:30 p.m., City Island Memorial Day Parade, City Island | Bronx - Service members will participate in the annual parade hosted by American Legion Post # 156. Event is free and open to the public.