Gothamist was searching for some NYC Sanitation rules for this holiday week when we came upon the DoS's NYCWasteLe$$ Holiday Tips. The DoS has suggestions on how to make the holiday, well, less wasteful:
- Give homemade gifts, such as cookies, handcrafts, or framed photos.
- Give entertainment, such as museum memberships; tickets to movies, theater, concerts, or sporting events; gift certificates to a favorite restaurant.
- Give learning, such as language or music lessons; classes in cooking, photography, or other favorite hobbies.
- Give your time or talent: personalized coupons that offer free services, such as baby-sitting, pet-sitting, computer help, or home repairs.
- Give fitness, such as gym memberships, personal training sessions, or classes in yoga, pilates, or dance.
- Give pampering, such as a massage, facial, manicure, or pedicure.
- Give to the greater good by making a contribution to someone’s favorite charity.In other news, it seems that many people have been returning Christmas presents - or putting up for sale on eBay. Were you happy with your holiday gift giving and receiving? Are will you go the "Human Fund" route next year? And we must give props to the city's graphics people - having reindeer pull a san truck is so awesome!