Yesterday afternoon, a man was pinned by a train that apparently ran over him on the northbound 4/5 express tracks at the Union Square subway station. A reader told us, "The train was stopped and all you could see was the man's legs." Today, the Post reports that the "man was in stable condition at St. Vincent's Hospital yesterday."

The paper adds, "The man, in his 40s, was with a friend when he apparently fell into the side of the train as it pulled into the station at about 1:15 p.m. near the East 14th Street entrance. He suffered head, neck, shoulder and chest injuries after getting himself wedged between the train and the platform."

According to a Slate article, the American Hospital Association guidelines don't recommend the use of "stable condition": "'Stable' should not be used as a condition. Furthermore, this term should not be used in combination with other conditions, which by definition often indicate a patient is unstable," noting that "one hospital spokesman put it, 'You can be dead and be stable.'"

Another reader on a 6 train who witnessed the scene (and clarified that the person holding the victim was a man) tells us:

His hands were soaked in the victim's blood trying to stay with him. I saw it when I got off the 6 train.... I stuck around to see FDNY haul him out on a stretcher lifeless...face covered in gauze and they pumped air into him...half of his body, head, left arms and legs were trapped...the only visible part of his body was his right arm leg and stomach which was exposed...the red headed good samaritan yelled at anyone who had a working cell to call 911... there is no service down there.

I was on the 6 as it slowly approached the station and noticed an unattended back pack and a few feet away a shopping bag and immidiately got nervous...because who or why would anyone leave a backpack at a train station like that? Sure enough my train door opens and a few feet past the bags was a man completely lodged in between the train and platform... He was still breathing, there was nothing anyone could do because if they pulled him out they would have severed the left side of his body including his head. Not sure how FDNY got him out, I'm sure they cut him out. I am praying for him and his loved ones... When they hauled him out on the stretcher he was lifeless, not breathing on his own. I am so traumatized by this.I only wonder...Did he jump? Trip? Or was he pushed? Just awful :(