Tomorrow, between noon and 5 p.m., the Parks Department and New York Restoration Project are celebrating Jeffrey's Hook Lighthouse. The Parks Department explains that the lighthouse, built in 1880 and moved to near the George Washington Bridge in Fort Washington Park in 1921, " is Manhattan Island’s only lighthouse and has become widely known as the children's literary landmark 'The Little Red Lighthouse.'
When the Coast Guard decommissioned the lighthouse in 1948, the plan was to auction it off. But the children's book, The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge, prompted a public outcry that saved the lighthouse. Today the icon is celebrated as a reminder of our city's history and the lesson of the book—that even small things can be important." Aww. There will be live performances, lighthouse tours, hay rides, historic demonstrations, food and more! Plus, a read of the book, The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge, by Commissioner Adrian Benepe. More details here.