There are a lot of outdoor venues for movies in the city, but Bryant Park is one of the most NYC outdoor movie experiences ever. Why? It's sometimes noisy, always crowded, and yet somehow still sort of magical because once you fight a few other New Yorkers for a spot, you're watching a movie in a valley of twinkling skyscrapers, atop an old potter's field. It's both beautiful and sort of overwhelming.
The lineup for this year's movies was just announced, and here's what many will be rushing the lawn to see:
- June 18 THE BREAKFAST CLUB
- June 25 THE PHILADELPHIA STORY
- July 2 A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN (a last minute change from Space Jam. Good call.)
- July 9 LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
- July 16 FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
- July 23 THE PRINCESS BRIDE
- July 30 WHEN HARRY MET SALLY
- August 6 THE WIZ
- August 13 THELMA AND LOUISE
- August 20 THE TERMINATOR
The lawn will open for the evening at 5 p.m., with movies beginning at sunset (above, a short film showing what happens at 5 p.m.) Food will be available from Hester Street Fair at the Fountain Terrace (more details here), or you can bring your own—people go all out, so check out these spreads and get inspired.