The Frick Collection (housed at 1 East 70th Street) has a summer display opening tomorrow which explores the 1935 transformation of the mansion into the museum and library it is now.

A little history: upon Henry Clay Frick's death in 1919, it was made clear in his will that his collection and mansion become a museum, but it wasn't until his wife's death in 1931 that the established Board of Trustees started moving forward with his last wish. Eventually the house, which was built in 1913 by Thomas Hastings, underwent an expansion in order to transform it into a more suitable public space. By 1935 it was complete, and opened to the public.

Through September 5th the educational display will offer a look at related architectural drawings, photographs, and other materials—such as a "newly acquired pen and ink drawing by Vernon Howe Bailey (1874-1953) depicting the construction of the Frick Art Reference Library. Bailey's drawing was commissioned by The New York Sun for its daily feature, Intimate Sketches of New York City, and appeared in the April 23, 1934, issue."

We'll be getting a tour of the Frick soon, and will have more current photos of some of the nooks that aren't open to the public—we hear there's some interesting things in there! For now, enjoy this look back.