- Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- A tornado outbreak and powerful storm systems ripped across six southern and Midwestern states on Friday, with an estimated 100 people dead amidst complete destruction of towns and communities.
- The Washington Post looks at the few cases where relatives reported to law enforcement that they feared their young family members were thinking of committing school shootings.
- Millions of Americans have apparently only gotten one dose of a COVID vaccine and Vox explains why it’s hard to track them down.
- Someone claiming to be the “Chinese Zodiac Killer” has contacted several upstate New York television stations though the FBI says there’s no current threat to the public.
- An asteroid the size of the Eiffel Tower will pass by our planet this weekend at a significant 2.5 million-mile distance, but that’s close enough for NASA to call it a “near-Earth object.”
- A protein pill could someday give you all the mental gains from exercise without having to actually do a thing.
- A Houston man delights his neighbors with his coordinated Christmas lights display set to Lil Jon’s “Snap Yo Fingers.”
- And finally, holy roly poly guacamole:
We rely on your support to make local news available to all