- Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- "Google searches for 'elastic waist' spiked in recent weeks."
- “Very strange things are happening here. Our plants, our animals and our people are not used to such great heat.” Scientist Roman Desyatkin is in Siberia, where there's an historic heat wave that is "thawing its frozen ground."
- Caroline Randall Williams writes in the NY Times, "If there are those who want to remember the legacy of the Confederacy, if they want monuments, well, then, my body is a monument. My skin is a monument."
- In California, 50 farmworkers have gone on strike at a pistachio farm, "demanding free face coverings, gloves and information from the farm’s owner after they said they learned from the media that dozens of their co-workers tested positive" for COVID-19.
- "What if the things for which you’ve been striving no longer feel important because they’re the spoils of a rotten system that needs complete overhaul?" Read Maris Kreizman on flickering ambition.
- Tonight's nightmare will be brought to you by the Herd Immunity Music Festival, coming to Wisconsin in July.
- Costco has discontinued their popular half-sheet cake; the company said they've "reduced service in some departments. At this time, we are not making sheet cakes for special order."
- Please enjoy 45-seconds of panda joy:
We rely on your support to make local news available to all