CMJ is here. For New Yorkers, you've probably already seen many of these bands. Everybody plays here. But the number of shows and the number of people crammed into the clubs for these shows is greater than normal. Be careful out there.
- The Donnas and Dogs Die in Hot Cars play a late show tonight at the Bowery Ballroom. The show starts at 1:15am.
- Earlier in the evening, the Bowery hosts The Decemberists, French Kicks, Hidden Cameras and Miho (of Cibo Matto). This is sold out. So sorry.
- There's a big buzz about Merge Records' latest band, The Arcade Fire. They're playing the Mercury Lounge tonight with Lou Barlow (of Sebadoh fame), Richard Buckner, David Kilgour (of the Clean) and a few others.
- Also tonight is a fine little show at Plaid filled with a few soon-to-be-much-more-famous bands such as Elkland and The Bravery. See the Bravery now, they're heading off to the UK soon to become press darlings.
- The Concretes, those wonderful Swedes with such charming songs, are playing the Bowery Ballroom on Thursday night. They're supposed to hit the stage at 11pm. Opening are VHS or Beta, Sondre Lerche, the Golden Republic and Inouk.
- One of the hottest tickets in town will be Ted Leo's show at the Knitting Factory on Thursday evening. This one is already sold out. So sorry.
- Here's an interesting line-up. Something for all tastes and preferences. ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead, Sunn O:))), Aesop Rock and Mates of State hit the Bowery on Friday night. It's a late show, 11pm start time.
- On Friday, local heroes TV on the Radio headline Irving Plaza along with Pinback, Battles, Sally Timms, Whirlwind Heat and Tara Jane O'Neil. Tickets are $22.50.
- On Saturday afternoon, Union Pool in Williamsburg will host yet another Bloodshoot Records BBQ. $10 or $7 with a badge. On the bill are the Waco Brothers, Bobby Bare, Jr., Graham Parker, The Meat Purveyors, Nora O'Connor and more. The show/feeding frenzy runs from noon to 7pm. Good times.
Other shows to hit:
- Sea Ray/Hopewell/Paris, Texas/Tigers & Monkeys, Palomar at the Tribeca Rock Club, tonight
- Mu/Dead Combo/Colder/CircleSquare at the Canal Room, Thursday
- Social Distortion/Tiger Army/The Explosion at the Roseland Ballroom, Thursday
- Har Mar Superstar at the Coral Room on Thursday
- Maplewood/High Strung/Back in Spades at Arlene's Grocery on Friday
- The Explosion/Panthers/Death From Above 1979/The Static Age/The Affair/Vietnam at CBGB on Friday
- Sonic Boom/The Landing at The Hook on Saturday
CMJ Playlist, a.k.a. Free Music For Your Sexy Bod:
- The Decemberists: "The Soldiering Life" (Kill Rock Stars)
- The Concretes: "Diana Ross" (clip) (Astralwerks)
- Ted Leo: "Me and Mia" (Lookout Records)
- Maplewood: "Morning Star" (Tee Pee Records)
- Death From Above 1979: "Romantic Rights" (Sound Virus Records, new album out on Vice Recordings)
- Elkland: "Summer is Over" (Columbia)