You're probably all saying, "Why go out after Gothamist's Movable Hype show last night? It's been done to perfection." That's a valid point, but the next week has quite a few worthwhile shows you should consider.
The Germans are coming! Morr Music finally puts together a national tour, and they've got two shows in NYC (one was last night, and the word on the street is it was really great). Tonight at the Mercury Lounge the line-up is a dream come true for fans of the label's laptop-heavy rock and electronic music: Lali Puna (pictured), Styrofoam and The Go Find. What an indie rock "dream team"!
Go celebrate Andrew Krucoff's disrespect for copyright law at The Other Page release party at Hi-Fi tonight. Let me know if Mitch Bainwol happens to show up.
Andy Turner, one half of electronic duo Plaid, spins at the alive-again-and-kicking Rothko Thursday night. James Fucking Friedman will also man the decks.
This one is sold out, but the Magnetic Fields are playing Zankel Hall tonight for a mere $35. Don't you miss the days of Merge Records and cheaper--and available--tickets?
On Friday, the legendary Scanner (well, he's a legend in some circles) will perform at the Eyebeam gallery in Chelsea. He'll create a show using both audio and video from Michelangelo Antonioni’s L'Eclisse.
Also on Friday, former Dinosaur Jr. frontman J. Mascis stops by Northsix with his backing band, The Fog. Bring your earplugs.
- The Head Set/Sam Champion/The Anabolics at Pianos tonight
- The Epochs/The Caufield Sisters at Sin-e tonight
- Kasabian at the Bowery Ballroom on Thursday
- Damon & Naomi/David Grubbs at Southpaw on Thursday
- Taking Back Sunday/Atreyu/Funeral for a Friend at the Roseland Ballroom on Friday
- Thalia Zedek/Brother JT at Northsix on Saturday
- Boyskout at Trash on Saturday
- The Hives at Webster Hall on Saturday and Sunday
- Animal Collective at the Knitting Factory on Sunday
- The Kills at the Bowery Ballroom on Monday
- Dogs Die in Hot Cars/Apollo Sunshine at the Bowery Ballroom on Tuesday
- Holly Golightly/The Woggles at the Mercury Lounge on Tuesday
- Coheed and Cambria at the Roseland Ballroom on Tuesday
This Week's MP3 Playlist:
- J. Mascis & The Fog: "Blowin' It/I Live For That Look"
- The Head Set: "A Regular Bonnie & Clyde"
- The Epochs: "The Candidate"
- Boyskout: "Secrets"
- Thalia Zedek: "1926"