Fashion photographer Terry Richardson, who has for years been the subject of sexual harassment accusations leveled by models he has photographed, has reportedly been banned from working with Vogue, GQ, Vanity Fair, and all other properties owned by Condé Nast.
In an internal memo circulated Monday—obtained by the Daily Telegraph—Condé Nast CEO James Woolhouse informed staff that the company would no longer be working with the photographer. Any work already commissioned from Richardson should be "killed or substituted with other material," according to Woolhouse.
Though the memo did not specify a cause for his removal, the news comes one day after a Times of London article asked why Richardson was still being "feted by fashionistas," despite "widespread allegations of sexually abusing models over many years." The article also referred to him as the "Harvey Weinstein of fashion."
The allegations around Richardson date back nearly a decade, and have been publicly documented in first-person essays and lengthy exposés. In 2014, model Emma Appleton shared several messages that alleged Richardson would not book her for a Vogue shoot unless she slept with him.
Despite years of swirling accusations, Richardson has had little trouble finding high-profile gigs. His work was featured in the August edition of Vogue Paris, and his photo of Alexandar Skarsgard appears on the cover of GQ Style Germany‘s Fall/Winter 2017-2018 guide. The Times Of New London reports that he was recently seen at New York Fashion Week shows alongside British Vogue editor Edward Enninful, and remains friends with some of of the biggest names in fashion, including Tom Ford and Marc Jacobs.
Caryn Franklin, a former editor of i-D, told the publication that Richardsons's predatory behavior was an open secret, and that "everyone knew someone who knew something."
A representative with Condé Nast International confirmed that the contents of the memo were correct, but would not elaborate further. A spokesperson for Condé Nast US told Gothamist that "Condé Nast has nothing planned with him going forward. Sexual harassment of any kind is unacceptable and should not be tolerated."
Richardson has denied the allegations in the past. Today, a Richardson rep told HuffPost UK, "Terry is disappointed to hear about this email especially because he has previously addressed these old stories. He is an artist who has been known for his sexually explicit work so many of his professional interactions with subjects were sexual and explicit in nature but all of the subjects of his work participated consensually."