Got some downtime? You've got the rest of the day to work on an entry for The Decemberists video contest. They filmed themselves in front of a green screen and want the rest filled in, but we're sure you've heard about this already. Here's a timeline (with slightly unrelated topics added for drama!):
• Chris Ott starts verbal slapping match with The Decemberists Colin Meloy.
• Stephen Colbert calls Meloy a "thief". (Video above)
• Meloy challenges Colbert to a guitar-off. Colbert accepts.
• Ott, on Nick Sylvester's site, claims to be anonymous blogger Gerard vs Bear and states in his rant that Meloy should "Kiss your whip’s ass for setting up this Colbert schtick, ‘cos you were this close to a faceplant on the half-pipe of OOPS up until about five seconds ago."
• Gerard vs Bear states that "CHRIS OTT BABY IS CRYING! GO CHANGE DIAPER, ASSCLOWN! GO TOUCH COLIN MELOY BALLS!"
We think Ott should be invited to the guitar off, too. Sylvester can liveblog it. (Maybe both should have gotten honorable mention in Time Out NY's New York critics awards). Stereogum has the details on this whole mess. And we suggest you try to get some Colbert Report tickets.