With last week's release of Seabiscuit, the Palm Beach Post's sports writers come up a list of the best sports movies ever made. Not surprisingly, the list skews towards more recent films, but Gothamist was surprised to see how much we agreed with the selections. We were especially glad that Hoop Dreams, one of the best films ever made, period, made the list, thereby not getting the short shrift for being a documentary. The top ten:
1. Rocky (1976) - Sylvester Stallone, Talia Shire.
2. Raging Bull (1980) - Robert DeNiro, Catherine Moriarity.
3. Bull Durham (1988) - Kevin Costner, Susan Sarandon.
4. Hoosiers (1986) - Gene Hackman, Barbara Hershey.
5. Caddyshack (1980) - Ted Knight, Bill Murray.
6. Brian's Song (1970) - James Caan, Billy Dee Williams.
7. Field of Dreams (1989) - Kevin Costner, James Earl Jones.
8. Hoop Dreams (1994) - Documentary.
9. Breaking Away (1976) - Dennis Quaid, Dennis Christopher.
10. A League of Their Own (1992) - Tom Hanks, Geena Davis.
The rest of the list from the Palm Beach Post, which includes Bend it Like Beckham (60 - it has the potential to unseat A Leauge... as the "girl" sports movie, but as A League is about the all-American past time, perhaps not), The Karate Kid (25), Pat and Mike (51), and yes, even Days of Thunder (96). We also appreciated how the Palm Beach Post went about scoring the votes.
What sports films do you like?