Enjoy feeling your palms sweat? What about darkness where demons and devils are disguised? Unfortunately, no, this isn't a werewolf bar mitzvah. It's just a list of haunted houses. But depending on what particular spine-chilling feature will satiate your appetite for fright—whether it's campy or unnerving—we've got just the list for you to peruse:
- Nightmare: Fairy Tales: Nightmare, which is on it's eight anniversary, has different themes each year. This year's theme, Fairy Tales, is based on, "the original versions of well-known (and some lesser known) fairy tales [which are] at their most gruesome and horrific." It's located at Clemente Soto Velez Cultural Center, 107 Suffolk Street between Rivington and Delancey and runs from September 29th through November 5th. Tickets are $30 in advance, $35 at the door.
- Blood Manor: The haunted mansion has a "new breed of demons" this year. Features include a "graveyard for the doomed," as well as "Killer Klowns," who are everywhere you turn. Though, what seems of particular interest is the "wall crawler" exhibit. If this is a real person then there are some serious logistics involved. Are there harnesses? Located at 163 Varick Street, Blood Manor will be open from October 7th through November 5th, and tickets are $25.
- Madame Tussauds "After Dark: The Haunting": Wax figures are weird enough, but now Madame Tussauds claims they'll be living for their "After Dark: The Haunting" event. The tourist attraction will be transformed into what is sure to be an explosion of kooky hijinks. Open to the public Thursday through Sunday, October 20th through 23rd & 27th through 30th. Tickets are $25 at the door and $22 advanced.
- Blackout Haunted House: We're actually kind of creeped out by this one. You have to go in alone, wear a protective mask, and carry a flashlight. There's also a waiver to sign before entering! A waiver! They're claiming "utter darkness" and "intensely violent and sexual situations." Located at 54 W 39th Street, between Fifth and Sixth Avenues, Blackout will be open from October 1st through the 31st. Tickets are $30.
- Coney Island Creepshow at the Freakshow: The Ride Inspector's Nightmare Get ready! It's "dirtier and bloodier" than last year. This roller-coaster ride tours through "NYPD crime scenes" (we're sure it'll be just like Law & Order SVU!) They warn of decapitated bodies and drunk ride inspectors as well as a "horrific kind of jury duty" (what kind isn't?). The creepshow will be held from October 7th through the 31st. Located at 1208 Surf Ave. (between Stillwell Ave. and W 12th Street) tickets are $10 at the door.