Between 1984 and 1986, the Statue of Liberty underwent a massive makeover—her first big restoration since having landed on Liberty Island in 1886. The public was informed in 1982 that the statue would be completely closed to the public during this time. While no cosmetic changes were made during the process, Lady Liberty's torch was replaced—on October 8th, 1984 the NY Times reported that the torch "will be constructed by French craftsmen, just as the original was... Ten craftsmen from Les Metalliers Champenois, based in Rheims, will work on the torch in a workshop at the statue's base on Liberty Island in New York Harbor." The workshop was made open to the public.
Other improvements made during the multimillion dollar project: 1,600 wrought iron bands that hold the statue’s copper skin to its frame were also replaced, and an elevator was installed.
Click through for photos documenting the restoration process, which was completed in time for Liberty's Centennial: